Helpful Links

Small Business Information



1.  DBA Forms


Many new business owners choose to file a DBA (Doing Busiess As) certificate at the County Clerk's Office. That reserves for you the exclusive use of a business name in Broome County. Also, many banks and taxing authorities require a DBA be on file. The filing fee for DBA is $25.00.  The County Clerk's Office has a variety of DBA forms available as hard copies for $1.00 and as downloadble forms for free.  All signatures on the DBA must be notarized, and the Clerk's Office has notaries on staff to assist you. Before filing, please search on the County Clerk's website ( to be sure that the name you've selected for your new business isn't already in use. 



·         Certificate of Doing Business Under an Assumed Name (DOCX)  (PDF)

·         Certificate of Discontinuance of Doing Business Under an Assumed Name (DOCX)  (PDF)

·         Certificate of Doing Business as Partners(DOCX) (PDF)

·         Certificate of Discontinuance of Doing Business as Partners (DOCX) (PDF)

·         Amended Busienss Certificate (DOCX)(PDF)


2.  State and Federal Contacts

You may need a “sales tax number.” Requirements and further information can be obtained on the the State website or by contacting the NYS Taxation and Finance District Office, 44 Hawley Street, 8th floor, Binghamton, NY.

You may also need a Federal ID number, also known as an Employer Identification Number (EIN). Requirements and further information can be obtained on the IRS website, or by contacting the Federal Building, 11-17 Henry Street, Binghamton, NY.


3.  LLC Publication Information.

Pursuant to provisions contained within Section 206 of New York State's Limited Liability Company (LLC) Law, the County Clerk has designated the following newspapers as satisfactory for publication of notices:

·         PRESS & SUN BULLETIN  (607) 798-1234

·         THE DEPOSIT COURIER  (607) 467-3600

·         THE WINDSOR STANDARD  (607) 775-0472

·         THE COUNTRY COURIER  (607) 775-0472

·         THE VESTAL TOWN CRIER  (607) 775-0472

·         THE REPORTER  (607) 724-2360


People publishing notices should pay particular attention to the geographic requirements set forth in Section 206 of NYS's Limited Liability Company Law.


4.  Other useful contacts.


There are many agencies that exist solely to help small businesses grow and thrive. Below are website addresses of agencies that can be very helpful as you begin your business and beyond.

·         U.S. Small Business Administration

·         New York State

·         New York State Department of Labor

·         NYS Small Business Development Center

·         Small Business Development Center At Binghamton University

·         SCORE

·         Work Force New York

·         Broome-Tioga Work Force New York

·         Greater Binghamton Chamber of Commerce